Dear Friends of Forest Farm,
Here at Forest Farm, 2017 has been a wonderful year. The house and gardens show the care and attention of many loving hands. Hundreds of visitors have spent time at The Good Life Center and been touched both the beauty of the farm and the continued importance of Scott and Helen’s message of simplicity and care for everyone and everything. Some of the highlights have been:
- Resident Stewards Alex Page and Jeanie Kirk ensured the house and garden were always looking their best throughout the Summer. They hosted over 1,000 visitors who toured the farm and learned more about Helen and Scott’s teachings and political legacy. Visitors left both nourished and awakened from Alex and Jeanie’s thoughtful presentations and generous spirit.
- The Monday night meeting’s were well attended and offered a diverse series of presentations which were posted on YouTube for all to enjoy and benefit from. In cooperation with the Brooksville Public Library, 2 evenings were jointly hosted beginning a closer relationship with the local community.
- A new website was launched this Spring offering internet visitors easier access to information, maps, videos, and more about the Nearing’s and their life’s work. More importantly, the website was designed to be “mobile friendly,” ensuring that anyone with a smart phone or tablet could view the content easily and clearly.
- A donation of used 3 KW grid tied PV (photovoltaic) system by a Brooksville family will further reduce the carbon footprint of Forest Farm. It will be installed this Fall by Revision Energy and will work in conjunction with the existing PV system. It will also serve as an educational tool for school groups and visitors.
- The Quimby Foundation has made a $21,000 unrestricted grant to the GLC. These funds will be used to make important upgrades and maintenance repairs to the buildings, grounds, and Scott and Helen’s library and papers. This grant will help to ensure Forest Farm will always be available and in good repair for future generations to enjoy and learn from.
- The GLC Board has decided to send out one annual appeal letter in the Fall instead of the usual twice yearly mailing. This will result in a substantial savings of postage, paper and printing costs. We do this in the spirit of Helen and Scott’s example of a of life lived frugally, and the wise use of the earth’s resources. For those individuals who previously made donations twice a year, we hope you will adjust your annual donation accordingly.
These are just a few of the highlights of 2017. Forest Farm and Scott and Helen’s message are more relevant now than ever before, as a new generation of seekers are turning to their timeless message for both answers and a new direction in their lives.
What is even more exciting are the plans for 2018 and beyond. New directions we hope will bring Scott and Helen’s message back to the mainstream where it belongs. The list that follows highlights some of the directions and programs we hope to develop during 2018.
- The hiring of a part time education director to develop and implement programs which will share the Nearing’s message with an emphasis on reaching out to local schools and community groups.
- Increasing the stipend made available to the Resident Stewards. The impact of the personal contact Stewards make with each visitor to Forest Farm is incalculable. Scott and Helen Nearing are brought to life every day thru their efforts and sensitive approach.
- Transitioning the board to a majority of younger members. We are actively working increase the number of board members who are under age 35. Times change and Scott and Helen’s message needs to be interpreted, shared and led by a new generation of board members.
- Extending the time Forest Farm is being actively used to include the Spring and Fall months. Scott and Helen always had Monday night meetings where all types of subjects were explored and discussed. We seek to continue in the same vein and create more outreach opportunities.
The financial support of donors like you has made all this and more possible. Keeping the GLC on a stable financial footing will allow the Nearing’s legacy to be shared with a new generation of searchers and also with those who have embraced Scott and Helen’s teaching for decades. Please our “Contribute” page which outlines the ways you can help to keep the GLC moving forward and offering real answers in response to troubled times.
The Good Life Center Board of Directors thanks you for your contribution!
Josh Saltmarsh, Board Chair