Development & Communications Coordinator
for the Helen & Scott Nearing Good Life Center.
The mission of the Good Life Center is to perpetuate the legacy of Helen & Scott Nearing through our programming and preservation of the historic Forest Farm homestead, advocate for simple and sustainable living skills, social and economic justice, organic gardening and the non- exploitation of animals.
Located in Harborside, Maine, Forest Farm includes the home, library, garden and outbuildings designed and created by Scott & Helen Nearing, and the home of their latter years. We are mostly a volunteer organization open to the public with programming from June through October. The Good Life Center (GLC) operates with part-time contracted professional management and is staffed seasonally by a resident stewardship couple who are chosen competitively to experience homesteading life and greet the approximate one thousand visitors making a pilgrimage to the homestead each year.
As called for in GLC’s 2019 – 2021 strategic business plan, the new Development Coordinator position will work in concert with the volunteer Board to carry out the following duties:
- Board development, identify prospects and conduct outreach to increase board membership
- Assist with development and implementation of our program plans
- Implement external communications and public relations activities
- Fundraising: organize and implement annual fundraising event, annual appeal and assist as needed on grant requests
- Donor development, identify potential major gifts and bequests and conduct solicitations
Part time position starting in January 2019 with increase in hours during seasonal activities, some evening and weekend meetings. Hourly rate of $20, no benefits. Work independently with oversight from the Board Chair and report formally to the Board on a monthly basis. One-year contract with potential extension. Information or to apply for this position send a cover letter and resume to Warren Berkowitz at email@example.com or call Warren at 207-374-5386.