- No CommentsNEARING RESIDENCY – Description & Application Process Remarkable and unique opportunity on the Maine coast for responsible couple. Live at Forest Farm, historic homestead of Living the Good Life authors Helen and Scott Nearing, on spectacular Cape Rosier peninsula overlooking Penobscot Bay and the Camden Hills. Located near Blue Hill and Deer Isle, Maine, an hour from Acadia National Park ...» Read More
- No CommentsIt’s the little moments that guided me to my homesteading journey, and it’s the same type of little connective moments that keep me here. My first memory of homesteading is with my little dolls. The tiny moss-covered caves, inside the rock wall marking the property’s edge, is where they wanted to live—barefoot and with leaves for their handmade clothing, with ...» Read More
- No CommentsDear Friends of Forest Farm, Here at Forest Farm, 2017 has been a wonderful year. The house and gardens show the care and attention of many loving hands. Hundreds of visitors have spent time at The Good Life Center and been touched both the beauty of the farm and the continued importance of Scott and Helen’s message of simplicity ...» Read More
- No CommentsWhile we may not agree with what she says, we in academe should defend her right to say it, argues Jonathan Zimmerman. By Jonathan Zimmerman September 14, 2017 In 1915, the University of Pennsylvania fired economist Scott Nearing. He had supported a law barring child labor, which got him on the bad side of several businessmen on the university’s Board ...» Read More
- No CommentsHARBORSIDE, Maine — Decades ago, when eager back-to-the-landers from all over the country came to Helen and Scott Nearing’s home to meet the couple that wrote about and helped to define a new idea of the good life, they often would spend some time helping in the garden and then share a meal with the Nearings. Read the full story ...» Read More
- No Comments
- No CommentsCurrently hailing from Portland, Oregon, Jeanie and Alex are absolutely thrilled to spend summer 2017 caring for and carrying on the Nearings’ legacy. Married on Cape Cod in 2016, as part of their ceremony Jeanie and Alex made a pact to maintain an adventurous and spontaneous spirit. The coast of Maine is calling! Jeanie Kirk, a would-be 14th-generation Cape Codder, ...» Read More
- No CommentsWe will be open Thursdays thru Mondays, 1 pm to 5 pm, June 22nd thru Labor Day. Saturdays & Sundays, 1pm to 5pm from Labor Day thru Columbus Day. For group visitations and individual appointments, please call WB at 207-374-5386.» Read More
GLC Facebook Feed
4 months ago
Do you want to live the Goodlife?
NEARING RESIDENCY – Description & Application Process
Remarkable and unique opportunity on the Maine coast for responsible couple. Live at Forest Farm, historic homestead of Living the Good Life authors Helen and Scott Nearing, on spectacular Cape Rosier peninsula overlooking Penobscot Bay and the Camden Hills. Located near Blue Hill and Deer Isle, Maine, an hour from Acadia National Park with their galleries, restaurants, beautiful public beaches, biking, kayaking, sailing, and hiking.
Responsibilities include caring for the Nearings’ organic vegetable garden, light maintenance, welcoming visitors, providing tours, and introducing educational programs. A simply furnished wood heated resident apartment is provided, along with a modest stipend, garden vegetables, special access to the Nearing library, and the opportunity to meet like-minded people from around the world. You will receive support and supervision from the site manager and the head gardener.
The season is Memorial Day through Columbus Day and requires 25 hours of work per week per person with two days off per week. Applicants must be nonsmokers, have hands-on gardening experience, and the capability to commit to the full season. Vegetarian meals while on grounds. Knowledge of the Nearings’ writings and philosophy a plus.
Please send resume and letter of interest by January 31 to: Nearing Residency, The Good Life Center, PO Box 332, Blue Hill 04614. ... See MoreSee Less